Friday, August 10, 2012

Miss On-Scene is Back On-Scene! (Part 1 of 4)

I promise to start blogging more often...so that my posts are less like this.

I know it's been awhile, and hopefully you miss me!  Haha.  I think the funniest thing about blogging is the more you have to write about, the less time you have to write.  But before I get even busier, I thought I'd give you all a quick update on what's been going on with me, and of course, with the Hawaii scene! This blog will be coming to you in 4, hopefully not-too-spaced-apart installments, the first one about my new gig at Station Bar & Lounge, the second about my new (unpaid) gig as a writer for hittingthestage.com, the third about this awesome new show I'm rehearsing for, and the 4th to update you all on my ongoing adventure with Brandon Apeles, Sing the Body, the whole Alternative HI/Amakua Records ohana. :)

Part 1:  How a Guy Named Blane Gave Me the Best Job Ever

Back in May, my friend Blane Nishizawa, owner of Station Bar and Lounge (which was already my favorite local venue) brought me on board as a barback.  Opening up back in December 2011, Station has still been going strong as a live venue and night spot.   Having roots deep in the local rock scene (anyone remember Soundhouse?), Station has now its weekly event schedule to include everything from acoustic showcases, DJ nights, free karaoke and of course, rock shows with full lineups--there's something going on practically every night!

Besides sweeping floors, cleaning toilets and washing glasses, I've learned the basics of running sound, lighting, and event promotion...all things I've wanted and needed to learn for the longest time!  But the biggest learning experience for me at Station has been hosting our Monday Open Mic nights.  Station had previously been running weekly open mics long before I ever became employed there...because why not; the bar is fully equipped with a P.A. system great acoustics and usually an experienced sound tech.  When I first started working in May I asked Blane how the open mics were going.  Sadly, he said that they had recently discontinued it.  At the time, turnout was low and there was no one available or willing to host or run the event.  I expressed interest in bringing it back and a few weeks later, he asked me to host for the first time.  Basically, I had to do the job of a promoter, emcee and sound tech all at once, not to mention the possibility of playing a few songs myself as filler if the turnout was low.  Seemed scary at first, but I had the help of some experienced Station staff and regulars, and an unmeasureable amount of support.

The first couple of weeks were a little intimidating, with only a few performers each time.  But with the power of social media and old fashioned word-of mouth, it got better and better every week.  And even when the number of performers was low, the amount of talent and originality never was.  If you know anything about open mic nights, it's that it can often be hit-or-miss.  Well, in my book, it was never a miss.  Even with varying degrees of experience and talent, every single person that got on my stage was entertaining, talented, and captiviating.  Not once have I had any bad performers on stage.  Not once have I had that awkward task of tactfully having to kick anyone offstage because they were crazy or just plain sucked.  Thank god!

Perhaps my best Open Mic night so far was just two Mondays ago, on July 30th.  I actually thought that particular night would bomb.  At the time I had no access to a computer or the internet, not even a smartphone, and social media is pretty essential to my job.  I confirmed with Blane that I could still do my job as a host, but that I could not do much to promote.  I did, however, text everyone I could using my archaic flip phone that I had at the time.  Among the people I texted was my friend, the multitalented actor, singer/songwriter and comedian Harold Wong.

"Open Mic tonight at Station.  If can,"  was the text I sent him.

"Just made an FB post," he texted back instantaneously.

My spirits were instantly lifted and I knew it was going to be a good night, if for nothing else, because I knew at least one exceptionally talented performer would be there.

That night, for the first time in my month-and-a-half or so of hosting Open Mic, we had our first performer come in and sign up before 8pm!  A gentleman on vacation from New Jersey with his lady friend from South Korea, who had walked in on our acoustic showcase the week before, thinking it was an open mic night.  We told him to come back on Monday, and I was pleased that he actually did.  He kicked the night off with some soulful Al Green and Bill Withers covers, and equally soulful originals.  During downtime I talked to him and his lady, got to know them a little and shared a few stories or my own.  They were absolutely pleased with everything about their vacation, the bar, and Station's unique version of Hawaii hospitality.

Besides my new friends, we also had another walk-in performer, two of our Open Mic regulars (Jay Wolf and Isaac Waters,) and of course Harold.  And if that didn't make me happy enough, a bunch of my friends from college theatre came to show their support.  Many songs were sung and many rounds were bought.  I haven't had a night that good or better yet, but all other nights have been pretty darn close.

(Backwards Shaka performing at Station Open Mic Night.  Photo by Malia Baloyot.)


What I love the most about running these open mics is being able to see local talent when it's still new, raw, and the artists are still starting out and hungry for exposure.  It is especially an honor to feel partly responsible when they do indeed become successful.  Sing the Body got their start at Ong King's open mic night, and Sweet Corn and Peanut (look out for them!) played just a couple of our open mic nights before we booked them for an actual gig.  My inner hipster will admit to beaming with pride when I say, "I saw them before they were cool."

Blane didn't just give me a job, he gave me the biggest opportunity of my life.  I feel with Station Bar & Lounge, Nishizawa has given Honolulu's artists the perfect venue and platform from which to move forward to bigger and better things...I just hope they all continue to come back!

Open Mic nights held at Station Bar & Lounge every Monday night.  Happy hour from 6-8, Open Mic portion of the night starts at 8, with signups starting at 7:30.  For more info, message Station Hawaii on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment